viernes, 31 de julio de 2015

Dubspot Radio Podcast: PBDY (Brainfeeder, TAR, Low End Theory) + Exclusive Mix and Interview!


For this episode of the Dubspot Radio Rewind, we turn up the volume on one of our favorite guest mixes from Low End Theory favorite, Brainfeeder comrade, and TAR label head, PBDY. We also sat down with PBDY to talk about his label TAR, DJ and production focus, and involvement with Brainfeeder and Low End Theory events.

PBDY

Are you a DJ first or Producer first? What moves you with music? And more specifically, what is it that you love about the mix? 

I’m without a doubt (currently) a DJ first. I’ve been trying to focus more on the production side of things as of recently though. It’s just hard for me to stop wanting to mix tunes. I love the ebb & flow of sounds. That pushes me to create my mixes that way as well. That is the aspect i enjoy most about making a mix. Taking people from point A to point B. Beginning, Middle & End. That creates the story & most (if not all) of my mixes are stories.

Tell us about the vibe of this mix you created for the Dubspot Podcast? Any specific tracks or artists that you’d like to mention? 

I took a little break from making mixes so this was my first one in a while. I wanted to create something reminesecnt of my past mixes. Make it a little far out, weirdo shit basically. Anything from Mac Demarco to DJ Hoodboi. Lots of unreleased cuts in there as well. A perfect blend of madness & heaviness.

I noticed that as a style, you mix fast. How did this happen? An evolution of style? Or something that has always been a part of your momentum?

I’m not sure exactly how that fast sorta frantic style of mixing came to be who I am. I think I’ve always been like that. I call it like ‘Musical ADD’. It’s sorta on that like there is just too much good music out there to hold back. I like to overwhelm the listener with a massive amount of tracks. Tease them a bit, but give them enough so they can vibe off it still & take notes. I also think growing up watching people like Gaslamp Killer, who can play anything he wants whenever he wants sorta inspired me too for sure. It’s all about the freedom to choose.

pbdy_640

Tell us about your involvement with Brainfeeder. How long have you been working with the label / collective and how did it come about? 

I’ve been friends with Flying Lotus since like 2007 or so. He pretty much inspired me to want to make the move and come live in LA and squad up with Brainfeeder. To me when I was living in Phoenix, Brainfeeder & Lotus were the only real things I had to escape to. It was always the dream to be living in Los Angeles working with them. I remember day dreaming about that shit always. Then a little over 3 years ago I got a text message from Lotus saying that Gaslamp Killer needed a roommate and the rest is history. If it wasn’t for Flylo & Brainfeeder I would still be in Arizona. They pushed me to want more.

You are a long time favorite at Low End Theory and Brainfeeder events, did this happen as a natural evolution of DJ style? How did you find your sound in the midst of this pressure cooker of sounds? 

I think we all have our roles in the cosmos. It’s just a matter of how long until you find out what that role is. I’m not even sure how all this came about but i feel so blessed to rock with Low End Theory & Brainfeeder. 2013 Brainfeeder SXSW  Showcase was the i think the true test. Since then i’ve played with them in New York & Japan as well. Japan was too life changing. Best experience of my life. Brainfeeder events are so fun to rock. Feel blessed every time I touch stage.

Click here to view the embedded video.

Tell us about TAR 

TAR is my little pet project. It’s just a place where I can put people onto some new tunes that i’ve been vibing on. Premise is all 3 track releases only, all free digital stuff. Anything from punk to footwork. Artists worldwide. I’m just about to release the 16th release. It’s a year old now.

From what we have heard about the TAR label, it’s a very eclectic and varied output that indicates a thoughtful curation process. What are the variables you look for in a release?

My only real goal is to put out music that could be for anyone/everyone. It’s my own personal interests put into the world. I know i’m not the only person who likes Dead Kennedys & Machinedrum you know? It’s for all the people who forgot what they really like to listen to. I don’t just drop music from people who have status already. Half the artists i’ve worked with on TAR are fairly unknown. But should be more known.

The music on TAR free, how do you pull that off? 

Yup, all free. This is just the first phase of it all. The artists get the concept too and understand this isn’t for the money making, this is for the purpose of spreading good sounds. How can I ask people to invest in something I’m doing if I’m not willing to invest into it myself? TAR will continue to be free as long as i’m doing it. Of course I’m making merch & such too that will be out soon. There’s no contracts or anything like that, it’s a mutual understanding of pushing good sounds to the world.

 Can you tell us about how the label came about?

It was suppose to just be a Zine at first but then I started getting some really good demos from people who I had never heard of before. So I was like, why should I be the only one who can enjoy this stuff? So I put the zine on hold & started a website & compiled some artists I thought fit the squad.

What is your philosophy for TAR? 

TAR is what remains when all else crumbles.

brainfeeder

Talk to us about the democratization of music through technology and the simultaneous fall of profitability in the music industry. Is this all a good thing? 

I embrace technology. I think it’s a natural progression & if one doesn’t catch up then they will be left behind. To not utilize this would be unjust. If people can’t figure out how to make money in the music industry they should just quit. There is always a way, people just need to adapt.

Who inspires you musically at the moment? 

People who inspire me lately a lot are like of course Lotus (who is the constant inspiration), Shabaaz Palaces, Jeremiah Jae, Djemba Djemba, these people push limits without even thinking about it.

So what is PBDY? Where did that come from?

PBDY basically is abbreviated from ‘Peabody’. Based off the ‘Mr. Peabody & Sherman’ cartoons. This is way before the movie came out lol.

I heard you played at a Warp Records festival in Chicago a few weeks back.. how did that come about? That must have been a legendary moment! 

The Warp Records party in Chicago was so amazing. Was wayyyy honored to rock that show. King Britt, Total Freedom, Jeremiah Jae, DJ Manny & DJ Spinn, playing with people like that is always a dream. Everyone killed it. I can only hope to join them more!

Tell us about what you are currently involved in – musically, label wise, and DJ wise

Currently I’m touring a bit more on and off for DJing. Hopefully Texas, San Fran & a mini Canada tour soon. I’m also working on a record with Jeremiah Jae, we go by JP Moregun. That will hopefully be out early 2015. I’m really trying to get grinding on production a lot more soon.

What inspires you to keep going in this ever changing world of sound? 

What inspires me is the fact that I know I have something to bring to the table. I’m inspired by wanting to show people more and more sounds. Living in Los Angeles inspires me massively.

Is Los Angeles the Mecca of music right now?

I’m not sure if it’s the ‘Mecca’ but to me right now it’s the mothership.

Keep up with PBDY on Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Website


Open House in NYC: Sundays 11am | Guided Tour of LA

Ask questions. Watch demos. Test drive workstations.

Visit our New York and Los Angeles locations! Ask our Admissions Counselors in-depth questions about our programs, curriculum and philosophy. Watch live music production and DJ demos, and test drive our student workstations. If you are still trying to decide what you are looking for, stop by one of our Open Houses in NYC or schedule a tour in LA to find out more about the learning process at Dubspot. We can also help with scheduling details and payment options.

Click here to view the embedded video.

/files/2015/07/PBDY-Thumb.jpg

The post Dubspot Radio Podcast: PBDY (Brainfeeder, TAR, Low End Theory) + Exclusive Mix and Interview! appeared first on Dubspot Blog.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario